Thursday, September 11, 2008

Honor....

Yesterday was our 2nd day of school for this week. It was not a good day, but rather one of those days when you sit down and think, "why am I doing this?", "Should I send them to public school?", "I'm the worst teacher in the world.", and when your husband walks in the door, you look at him and say "I HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE!" It happened last night. My dearest husband walked in and I turned to him with wide tired eyes and said "I have to go outside!" So, I went outside, phone in hand talking to another homeschooling mom and cried, while spilling my heart out to her. BLESS HER for listening and trying to encourage me. She did make me feel better, she helped me to see that I need to ask for help and not try to do everything myself and I have to take care of me. I pray that God will strengthen me so that I can do it all these things. After my meltdown I went back inside and found my family eating dinner, peacefully, and quietly. I joined them. Everyone enjoyed the meal, the kids were excused to finish folding laundry and Blessed Daddy and I were left at the table to "talk." He asked to be excused so that he could prepare a lesson. I assumed he meant to prepare for the next week's Sunday School lesson....no, he meant for our kids. After the kids folded all the laundry and put their things away, we all met in the school room. It was WONDERFUL!!

Blessed Daddy posted 2 Bible verses on the board.
Deuteronomy 5:16 "'Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the LORD your God is giving you."
Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother" (this is the first commandment with a promise), "that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land."

We discussed who wrote each passage, whom they were writing to, where they were found in the Bible, and most importantly what each one meant. We looked up the word "honor" and discussed how we can honor our parents. It was a great lesson for all of us. I even learned something! The definition of honor can me "good name", to give someone a good name by honoring them....so our children give us a good name within the church, family, community when they are honoring us. We talked about all the ways in which we did NOT honor mommy today and then how we could honor mommy. I think everyone had a better understanding of how to help our days. Also, Blessed Daddy got a good dose of what I go through everyday while teaching! Edwin was into everything and Ellianna couldn't keep her mouth shut!! Just like when Mommy is trying to teach....it's exhausting!! I know I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me and I will continue to home school because this is the calling God has laid on our hearts. But MAN....yesterday was a serious Test and I FLUNKED!!!!!!!! Thank goodness for forgiveness and a new day! Praise God!

I pray that you all are having better homeschooling days!! Keep looking to Christ!

2 comments:

Teacher/Mom said...

Gee - was this my post? I could've written this just as easily as you. We've had that kind of a week as well. I've got my oldest DD, who is so sassy to me all the time that a jar of hot sauce would run for the water, and my next DD who is so distractible that she spent two hours contemplating what to name a dog that we are never going to have. This despite my standing next to her every five minutes and reminding her that she had work to do. She will not have a weekend until her work is done, which means we don't get to go to the apple orchard as planned tomorrow. If we weren't already employing a sitter for the evening hours, I'd have gotten one for her alone and we'd have gone to the orchard without her. We need to have a girls weekend away, girlfriend!
Blessings.

Jennifer Shand said...

Hang in there Kassandra! We all have days like these. In the end, it was used to glorify God, who would have thought.
Love you!