Monday, October 20, 2008

Passions...Desires...Sins....OH MY!

Have you ever had those times when you get so jealous? Like when your kids are sick and you have to stay home from church, miss lunch with friends after church and cancel Bible study?

We really love our Sundays. First we worship our Lord with all our hearts, through corporate worship, singing, prayer and then we attend Sunday school, where we look through the Bible for God's truths and how to apply them to our lives. Secondly, we enjoy the fellowship of other christian brothers and sisters. A large group of us go to Wendy's for lunch after church and Sunday school. Thirdly we host a home fellowship at our home. DH is an elder in our church and he leads us in a bible study. We are currently doing a study on "The Case for Kids" by Paul and Tedd Tripp. So, you see how busy our Sundays are, but they are all for the glory of God. While glorifying God we have fun! Fellowship is a big part of that fun.

Yesterday, I had 3 out of 5 arrows sick. Naturally I had to stay home with the kids. I kept all the kids home, since they were all fighting a cold of some kind. Saturday we had soccer games, it was COLD, windy and all the kids had stuffy noses this past week, more like allergies, not sickness. Well, the cold, wind, running around getting sweaty and cold must have did them in. They all coughed all night long and by Sunday morning they were miserable. I had to have DH cancel bible study for the evening and he went to lunch without us. The kids and I were very bummed. However, some of our friends were thoughtful enough (or so I thought) to call us and check in. They were all at Target, laughing, hooting and hollering having a GREAT time, without us. Needless to say, I felt the green monster welling up. Jealous of their healthy kids? Was I really jealous? Why did I feel this way? I should be happy and rejoicing that their kids are healthy, but I was selfishly jealous over MY missing out!! Later that day our friends called again....they were all enjoying some fun at a friends house in their HOT TUB!!! NOT AGAIN!!! Do you feel a pattern coming on? YUP....here it comes!!!!! GREEN UGLY and in FULL force. I was jealous even more so now. My friends were calling to check on me and the kids, hoping that we all felt better. I appreciate their concern, but man I just don't like the way my heart was reacting.

After dispensing medicine to each child for their cough, cold or stuffy nose, we enjoyed some "history" time. We have been enjoying a DVD of "Drive Through History" with Dave Stotts. It is only about a 10 minute little segment, then we talk about what we remember and reflect on the person we learned about. After the history lesson, we put the kids to bed. DH and I enjoy a bowl of ice cream most nights after the kids are in bed. We sit on the bed and eat our ice cream while either talking, watching TV or sometimes watching a DVD. Last night we watched Paul Tripp speaking out our Home School Conference. We purchased the DVDs at our home school convention instead of attending the session because it was a late hour and the kids were exhausted already. Well, the Lord knew I needed to watch and hear this speech at home too!! :) He was talking about James 4:1-3 What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. What causes fights among you? Why do I get so angry over little things, because it gets in the way of what I want....my idols...my treasures. OUCH!!!!!!! So, not only was I in the midst of my own sin of jealousy, but now I see my idols. WHOA!!! I was just hoping for some downtime with DH and a little ice cream!!! God had bigger things in store for me.

I see my sin for what it is now....I see where I need to repent and change. Will you pray with me and for me?

Lord, forgive me for my sins. Forgive me for the jealousy of my heart and the treasures of my own passions and desires. Take these things from me so that YOU might be my only treasure and YOU would be my only passion. Lord, I ask that where there is more sin I need to see you would make it clear to me. I humble myself before you. May your name be glorified through all I do. May the light and love of Christ shine through my life here. Replace the passions of my heart from sinful things to holy and glorifying things. I pray all this in the name of Christ, Your Son, AMEN

1 comment:

Jennifer Shand said...

Hey girl,
I know exactly what you mean!!!When Corey called last week when we missed you on friday night, the first thing I did was get really jealous and maybe a little bit mad. I was having a hard time figuring out what my problem was. The best way for me to deal with my emotions is usually through humor - hence the blog post. But my joy in it all, is to know that we have truly made great friends here and it's okay to be sad when we've missed each other for one reason or another. Thanks for sharing the scripture passage, it's good to be reminded that it's "not all about me".
Love, Jen